top of page

How to get your name changed after marriage?

Photography by Luis Alvarado @luisalvaradophotos

Welcome to our Blog!

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document.

  • Divorce decree.

  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name.

  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license.

  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card.

  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card.

  • School identification card.

  • Health insurance card.

  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate.

  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

  • U.S. passport (unexpired).

  • Certificate of Naturalization.

  • Certificate of Citizenship.

To start the process click the link and create an account.

13 views0 comments


bottom of page